Billingsgate Roman House & Baths
Saturday 14th & Sunday 15th July 2012
11.00am – 4.00pm
Walking along Lower Thames Street in the City of London few people probably realise that some of Roman London’s best remains lie hidden beneath their feet. The Billingsgate Roman house and baths was first discovered in 1848. Today its remains lie under the buildings at 101 Lower Thames Street and are not at present open to the public. Due to its deteriorating condition a condition survey was undertaken and a conservation programme was commissioned through the City Surveyors Department at the City of London Corporation, who have very generously funded the project. The conservation work has been undertaken by Nimbus Conservation. In addition, conservation and site management / interpretation students from the Institute of Archaeology at UCL are helping with the work. They have set up a website and you can also follow them on Facebook and Twitter.
PLEASE NOTE this event takes place at 101 Lower Thames Street, London EC3R. The event is part of the Festival of British Archaeology.