Charlton Lecture 05/09/09
Saturday 5th September 2009 2pm
The structure on the foreshore at Charlton, in front of the former Castle’s shipbreaking yard, near the Anchor & Hope pub, is probably a gridiron for mooring boats upon. The structure is comprised of around 100 extremely large warships’ timbers, including parts of the keel assembly and frame timbers, which can only have come from the largest of warships. It seems to have been built in 1904/5; the only first rate ship of the line broken up there in that period being HMS Duke of Wellington mounting 131 guns. Find out more on the 5th September when Lorna Richardson and Eliott Wragg will be giving a talk at the Greenwich Heritage Centre on the Thames Discovery Programme and the latest information about these ships timbers discovered at Charlton. ALL WELCOME!
Greenwich Heritage Centre
Woolwich SE18 4DX
020 8854 2452
Wheelchair accessible. Induction loop fitted. Guide dogs welcome.
How to get there
The nearest station is Woolwich Arsenal, and North Greenwich on the Jubilee Line. Bus routes 472, 161, 96, 180 stop in Plumstead Road outside the Royal Arsenal. Bus routes 53, 54, 422, 380 stop in Woolwich town centre, five minutes’ walk away from the Heritage Centre Use the link below to plan your journey.